Friday, June 12, 2015

Noble Sentiments in a Sound-Bite Age

"If you are being fed to the lions, it is tempting for one to believe that victory is defeating the lions, when in fact, real victory is dying in such a manner that those watching repent, because they now know that it is wrong to feed your brethren to the lions."

I love noble sentiments but there are things about this one that trouble me.  Yes, perhaps the main point is that the lions are not our enemy, or maybe the lions are and the crowd are the ones we are dying for.  Maybe I'm overanalyzing but here are a few thoughts.

1.  When it comes to dying, it's just me and the Lord.  No lions.  No crowds.  I hope I can die in such a way to honor Him.  The grace to die well will come from Him.  There's even precedent for shutting the mouths of hungry lions. 

2.  "... because they now know that it is wrong to feed your brethren to the lions."  How my death is perceived is up to God, not me.  Yes, I agree there are things you can't not know (a few psychopaths aside), but put that in the context of millions killed in Nazi camps.  Was it the example of their deaths that ended the Holocaust?  How many times has that been repeated?  Truth is the way forward, but Truth can come in many ways even military might.

3.  America is running full tilt toward another Nazi society.  Already the philosophy of "if you don't agree with us and celebrate what we celebrate even if it violates your conscience ... we're going to hurt you" is rising.  It's not hard to see that leading to a repeat of Christians vs Lions, but I do not believe that is a foregone conclusion.

4.  I know this is not the point of the above sentiment, but I don't think God has told us to put our affairs in order and go volunteer to die in the arena.  I do believe He is and always has called His people to stand up for Him in all things - to stand visibly against what is wrong, to be the lawyer fighting to protect First Amendment rights, to be the pastor rightly equipping his congregation and youth to be effective in their times ...

5.  If it comes that I am taken to the 21st century arena then I hope it's because I was a Mordechai standing in the gate while others bowed (Esther 5:9) and not that the FBI had to work hard to find enough evidence to convict me.

Noble sentiments are meant to provoke thought.  However, in our time, it may just be the shortfalling of Noble sentiments that they are pithy in an age of sound bites where people are used to being told what to think.  No real thought required.


Disclaimer.  A friend posted this sentiment as a Facebook comment and I posted the above (98%) as a response.  He subsequently posted an excellent response.  He did not negate my comments but explored some different aspects of the sentiment.  BUT I'm not going to give him equal air-time on my blog until he starts a blog and posts his response there - then, I'll link to it.  He needs to be writing to a bigger and potentially hostile audience than just his FB friends.

UPDATE 1/27/18: My friend started a blog.  The Spirited Nature - try it.  You'll see he is an excellent and thoughtful writer.

No comments: